Information for 2016 DNR AIS ProgramsPublished by forester on Thu, 08/27/2015 - 13:26
1. AIS Signs at Water Accesses
Due to the high demand for “Help Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers!” signs for use at water accesses, the Minnesota DNR has recently updated our sign program (previously known as “Grants for DNR Signs at Water Accesses”). Organizations now have two options to obtain these signs:
1. You can request a small number from the DNR or
2. You can download the sign artwork files and have larger quantities of signs printed on your own.
Go to the new “Aquatic Invasive Species Signs at Water Accesses” page to find out more: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/ais/prevention/ais_signs.html
Help Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers! signs at water accesses are a key public awareness strategy to help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS). These signs contain regulatory language that is consistent statewide, which allows for easier enforcement of AIS laws. For your reference, the DNR also created an Aquatic Invasive Species Sign Manual for sign installation guidelines.
2. AIS Publication Order Form
Here are a few options to obtain aquatic invasive species (AIS) publications and outreach materials:
1. You can order select publications from the Minnesota DNR by filling out and submitting the attached order form.
- Use the PDF version if you would like to print it and fill it out by hand.
- Use the fillable Word document version if you would like to fill it out electronically.
- The first 100 or so of each publication are free, after that there is a charge.
2. You can also obtain AIS materials from:
- Wildlife Forever: http://www.wildlifeforever.org/invasive-species/threat-campaign/new
- Minnesota Sea Grant: http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/publications
3. Alternatively, the Minnesota DNR has a handful of materials that you can print on your own:
- Customizable (e.g. add you logo and contact info) print materials: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/ais/public-awareness/print.html
- Promotional items: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/ais/public-awareness/promotional.html
- Public awareness products: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/ais/public-awareness/resources.html
3. 2016 AIS Prevention Aid Allocations
The Minnesota Department of Revenue has certified the AIS Prevention Aid (Minnesota Statute 477A.19) amounts to be distributed to each county for the year 2016. You can find the certification chart here: http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/local_gov/prop_tax_admin/Pages/ais.aspx
4. Submit your county resolution or plan by December 31st, 2015
Reminder: According to statute, all counties receiving AIS Prevention Aid must submit guidelines, in the form of a resolution or a plan, to the DNR (Tina Wolbers or Phil Hunsicker) by December 31st, 2015.
Local AIS Prevention Aid: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/ais/prevention.html
For more information, contact:
Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Planner
Division of Ecological and Water Resources
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Box 25, 500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025